DIRECTV is the largest satellite TV provider in the world. This guide explains what DISH Network is, what services they provide, and where you can get the best deal on their services and programming.
DIRECTV is a satellite TV broadcast service that provides TV programs plus XM satellite radio music and talk shows to households and businesses throughout the United States, the Caribbean, and Latin America.
Located in in El Segundo California, DIRECTV began operations in 1994. In 2005 they started broadcasting XM Satellite Radio programs, and in 2008 they were the first TV provider to have 100 HD (high definition) channels.
They currently have more than 16.5 million subscribers with satellite TV and satellite radio programming provided by 15 satellites.
TV programs – DIRECTV has more than 265 satellite TV channels that provide 100% digital and high-definition programming that includes:
* Top network channels such as ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and The CW channel
* Recently-released movies from HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, and the Movie Channel
* Classic movies from Encore, Turner Classic Movies, TNT, and TBS
* Sports programming from Fox Sports, ESPN, and Comcast Network
* Sports packages that include NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, NASCAR Hot Pass, and NHL Center Ice
* News, financial programs, and up-to-date weather forecasts from CNN, The Fox News Channel, The Weather Channel, and Bloomberg Television
* Special Interest programs from Arts and Entertainment, The Discovery Channel, The History Channel, The Learning Channel, Animal Planet, Home and Garden Television, QVC, Home Shopping Network, and The Food Network
* Family programming from The Disney Channel, ABC Family, Nickelodeon, The Cartoon Network, Discovery Kids, and The Hallmark Channel.
* International channels include Arabic, Brazilian, Caribbean, Chinese, Filipino, Greek, Italian, Korean, Polish, Russian, South Asian, Spanish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese programming.
Satellite Radio Programs – DIRECTV carries 73 commercial-free satellite radio channels. These channels include talk shows, rock-and-roll, country, pop, easy listening, new age, jazz, classical, soul, rhythm and blues, reggae, punk, hip-hop, gospel, and Christian music.
When you order DIRECTV programming you get all the equipment you need – the dish, a four-room receiver system, and remote controls – for free. Installation is also free and your installer will even show you how to operate your receivers and remotes.
You also have the option of getting an HD receiver or a DVR receiver that will let you record up to 200 hours of your favorite programs. You can even get a free combination HD/DVR receiver.
Where to Get the Best Deal
Because online dealers don’t have to pay rent or hire sales personnel, they can offer you a better deal than most offline dealers. Internet prices start at $29.99 a month for the 45-channel family package, and go up to $57.99 per month for the 265-channel Premier package which includes 73 XM satellite radio channels plus 31 movie channels from HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz. It also includes local channels and DVR service.